National Vision’s Reade Fahs Signs CEO Action for Diversity and Inclusion™ Pledge
“I am proud that over 50% of National Vision’s total associates and 45% of optometrists in our network identify as Black, Indigenous, or People of Color (BIPOC). We feel it is important for patients and customers to feel represented and included when they come to our stores and entrust us with their vision, so we want to continue to attract diverse perspectives and talents and be a great place to work for everyone who comes to the optical industry,” said Chief Executive Officer
In the pledge, National Vision committed to a series of actions related to diversity, equity and inclusion across its company, industry and communities, on many of which National Vision has already made progress. In 2020 and 2021, National Vision focused on formalizing its diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) efforts, including:
- Created a new department, including dedicated staff and leadership, tasked with leading company-wide DEI efforts.
National Vision DEI Council, which strategically guides DEI efforts in four focus areas: Employment Branding/Recruitment, Training & Education, Mentoring & Career Development, and Community Services.
- Implemented a company-wide Diversity Calendar to create a hub for intentional conversation opportunities, training and resources around highlighted observations throughout the year.
- Reviewed recruitment and hiring practices to increase opportunities to attract, support, and retain a diverse pipeline of talent.
Committed more than
$425,000in scholarships, grants, and philanthropic donations focused on supporting BIPOC students and students from communities with historical underrepresentation in the optical industry.
- Increased minority representation and achieved a gender balance among the independent directors on the Board of Directors.
- Built DEI efforts into the core framework of National Vision’s Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy, which is designed to extend and formalize the company’s commitments to DEI initiatives.
About CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion™
CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion™ is the largest CEO-driven business commitment to advance diversity and inclusion within the workplace, and will continue to be a meaningful voice and accelerator for action with the business community, signatories and employees. This commitment is driven by a realization that addressing diversity and inclusion is not a competitive issue, but a societal issue. Recognizing that change starts at the executive level, nearly 2,000 CEOs of the world’s leading companies and business organizations are leveraging their individual and collective voices to advance diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Learn more at CEOAction.com and connect with us on Twitter: @CEOAction.